Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 1

The first week of class and university life in general was quite interesting. The difference between high school and university life is already evident. At first I felt like this would be a little overwhelming, however, I really enjoyed the first week as it was mostly introductions to the course material. This gave me a chance to adjust to this new lifestyle. Now on to more specific topics about this course:

New Topics I Learned This Week

First and foremost I learned about the importance of precision and the right level of precision. The ambiguity slide was really interesting and it helped me realize how the headlines provided can be interpreted in multiple ways by different people.

Challenging Topics This Week

Initially I was very confused by the streetcar drama exercise. I had absolutely no idea how to solve this. However, by working with my fellow classmates and using the problem-solving steps I was able to complete this question and at the same time understand how to approach problems that may seem difficult. The main difficulty I had with this question was realizing that the sum was not unique; somehow I managed to miss this important fact and without it I would not been able to solve the question.

Relation to Other Courses

I have MAT137 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday before I have CSC165. Therefore, before learning about quantifiers and universal / existential claims in CSC165, I was taught it in MAT137 which helped me understand the material very well. The course material in these two courses seems to be relative so far and I feel like this will help me understand several concepts.

1 comment: